Short Term Rentals
A short term rental is the rental of all or a portion of a property for less than 30 days. The short term rental of a property must be the principal residence of the property owner.
NOTE: The short term rental of a residence which is not the principal residence of the property owner is prohibited and subject to the penalty for violation in accordance with Broomfield Municipal Code Section 5-39-120.
It is unlawful for any person to engage in a short term rental within the City and County of Broomfield unless licensed to do so. All marketing materials or advertisements for a short term rental unit must contain the license number of the short term rental license.
There is a non-refundable $100 application fee for a Short Term Rental License. Licenses are valid for 5 years from the date of issuance.
Applications for a Short Term Rental License must be submitted in the licensing portal. Note: The portal will not allow you to complete your application submission if required information is missing. However, you can always save your work in the portal and come back later to complete and submit the application.
Step 1: Submit an application through the licensing portal. You will need to submit:
- Copy(ies) of valid driver’s license(s) or state issued identification card(s) which shows the address of the property for each property owner.
- Schedule E form 1040 (link is for example purposes)
- Required only if multiple properties are owned by the applicant(s) to verify principal residence. Please submit a copy of the form from the most current tax year filed.
- A City and County Broomfield Sales Tax license application
- Required only if you are not using a listing/rental platform that automatically remits local sales tax on your behalf.
- If the subject property is part of a trust, documents must also be submitted to show the applicant is a beneficiary of the trust and all beneficiaries must sign the declaration to show they are aware and agree that the property will be used as a Short Term Rental.
Step 2: Pay the application fee. You may pay the application fee from within the licensing portal using a credit card or e-check. You may also pay in person at the Clerk’s office using a check, cash, or credit card.
Step 3: The review and approval process may take up to 3 weeks.
Step 4: Approved applicants will receive their short term rental license from the City Clerk's office by email. Click the APPROVED APPLICATION tab above.
Once the Short Term Rental License has been approved and the license has been received:
- Post the short term rental license number in all listings and advertisements.
- Print and post the short term rental license inside the subject premise where your renters can see it.
- Provide renters with a Renter's Guide to communicate applicable rules and regulations.
Questions may be directed to the Clerk's Office at 303-438-6332 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sales Tax related questions may be directed to the Sales Tax Division at 303.464.5811.
To register a non-emergency complaint, use the Code Complaint Hotline 303-464-5551.
For more information, please visit
If the concern requires immediate attention, call the non-emergency dispatch phone number 303-438-6400