Marriage Certificates 

By Appointment

You can now make an appointment for Marriage and Civil Union certificates. 

Apply By Mail or Dropbox

Applicants can apply for a marriage license via mail or the dropbox at the addresses listed below. You must be getting married in the State of Colorado within 35 days of application.

  • Mail - City and County of Broomfield, Attn: CAC, One DesCombes Dr., Broomfield, CO 80020 
  • Dropbox - white utility billing dropbox located to the west of the Motor Vehicle Department at the George Di Ciero Building at One DesCombes Dr., Broomfield, CO 80020 
To apply for a marriage license, you will need following:
All documents must be legible or it could result in a delay in the issuance of your marriage license. 

  • Please include your contact information so we can contact you if necessary. 
  • Marriage license applications will be processed within 24 hours of business hours.  Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. 
  • Once your license has been reviewed and approved, the license will be mailed back to the address you provided. If this license is needed immediately, please call us at 303-464-5819 to arrange a pick-up time. 
  • After your ceremony or self solemnization, return the complete license to the Recording Department via mail or dropbox to be recorded. 


  • Both applicants must provide the following to obtain a marriage license:
  • Proof of ID with date of birth
    • Acceptable identification
      • Birth Certificate, State issued Driver's License or ID, Military ID, Alien Registration Card, Passport, VISA, Certificate of Naturalization, Department of Corrections ID and Inmate ID.
      • All these forms of ID must be current/valid and include a date of birth to verify that the applicant is of legal age to enter into a marriage.
      • Acceptable ID's that are not in English must be accompanied with a certified translation.
      • Applicant must complete the Affidavit of No Social Security Number, if they do not have a Social Security Number.
    • Unacceptable ID
      • Consular Matricula Card, Foreign Voter Registration Card, Foreign Driver's License, Expired document of any type
    • $30.00 fee for the license (check or money order only)
Divorced Applicants
  • If either applicant is divorced, the following information is needed
    • Date of Divorce (month/day/year)
    • Place of Divorce (County and State)
    • Type of court for the divorce
Widowed Applicants
  • If either applicant is widowed, the following information is needed
    • Date of death (month/day/year)
    • Place of death (City and State)
Marriage By Proxy - HB15-1327
Per Colorado Revised Statutes, Section 14-2-109(2), individuals can appoint another party to act as their proxy and complete the marriage process.

Age Requirements
  • Applicants for a marriage license must be 18 years of age or older.
  • HB19-1316-Modernizing Marriage Laws for Minors requires applicants aged 16 or 17 to obtain a Court Order in order to be issued a Marriage License in the state of Colorado. Parental consent is not enough to obtain a Marriage License.
  • Applicants aged 15 or younger May Not be issued a Marriage License.
  • Marriages are prohibited if an applicant is already married or between the following:
    • Ancestor and descendant
    • Brother and sister
    • Uncle and niece
    • Aunt and nephew
Marriage License Details
  • Marriage licenses must be used within 35 days from the date of issue, anywhere in Colorado
  • Marriage licenses may be obtained in any county, regardless of where the ceremony will take place in Colorado
  • Blood tests are not required
  • A marriage may be performed by the following:
    • Individuals by Self-Solemnization
    • Judge
    • Court Magistrate
    • Religious or tribal official authorized to perform a ceremony
    • Other public official authorized to perform a ceremony