Broomfield Comprehensive Plan
Adopted November 1, 2016, The Comprehensive Plan update for the City and County of Broomfield will provide the framework for ensuring a sustainable future for Broomfield.
The plan itself is organized into eleven different sections. These eleven sections provide goals and policies that will focus on improving life for citizens and visitors while fostering civic pride and economic growth.
To view the Comprehensive Plan in full, download the full PDF.
To view the Comprehensive Plan Land Use Map, download the PDF.
To locate a specific section of the plan, utilize the links below. (blue text indicates links to the section)
- Community Form and Identity - Strengthening the county’s sense of community by outlining steps to increase connectivity in the area and enhance both natural and man-made features. In addition, the plan focuses on enhancing a diversity of people and a diversity in amenities.
- Growth, Population, and Change - Preparing for growth and allowing for adaptability to potential population changes. The comprehensive plan outlines policies that provide for an appropriate rate of growth and the creation of public services to support new residents.
- Land Use - Providing a mix of land uses that meet the needs to the citizens of Broomfield is a key aspect of the comprehensive plan. The Land use section outlines the policies providing for mixed use, denser development projects in the future that meet a variety of needs.
- Transportation - Increasing the opportunities for multi-modal transportation is an important aspect of planning for the future. Broomfield seeks to provide safe and efficient travel for people of all ages and abilities.
- Open Space, Parks, Recreation and Trails - Protecting and enhancing access to open space while improving recreational opportunities and environmental stewardship. It is important the citizens of Broomfield remain connected to a variety of outdoor spaces.
- Economic Development - Growing the local and regional amenities in order to stimulate economic development and meet community needs. It is a priority to provide employment opportunities and support the connections between individuals and jobs.
- Community Services and Facilities - Supporting services to meet local demand such as libraries, health care, recreation, education and cultural facilities. In addition, Creating an atmosphere of security by providing necessary emergency response services is a large focus in this section of the comprehensive plan.
- Environmental Stewardship - Conserving and protecting natural resources by encouraging public participation in sustainable practices and utilizing energy saving practices. In the next twenty years, policy and incentives will be used to promote the use of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Housing - Offering current and future residents diverse housing opportunities while maintaining affordability and attainability. High quality housing functional for seniors, single-parent households and other special needs residents will continue to grow in Broomfield.
2018 Housing Needs Assessment Action Plan
- Utilities - Ensuring City and County utilities are equipped to to support current populations and future growth. Efficiency, sustainability and overall aesthetics of utility infrastructure will be improved to promote public health and welfare.
- Oil and Gas - Recognizing the many challenges facing our community as technological advances in oil and gas exploration and production evolve, Broomfield desires to focus on the health, safety, welfare, and environment of our community as our top priority.
Transportation Plan - Broomfield provides a well connected and well maintained multi-modal transportation system that safely and effectively accommodates all modes (pedestrian, bicycle, automobile, bus, rail, and freight) providing mobility for goods and people of all ages and abilities while supporting economic development, reducing dependence on the single occupant vehicle, and minimizing environmental impacts.