Increased or excessive moisture this spring provides abundant habitat for mosquitos. More habitat means more places for mosquitoes to live, develop and reproduce, which leads to larger populations. The month of May was the fourth wettest on record and June is already the wettest on record. The City and County of Broomfield contracts with Vector Disease Control International (VDCI) and typically 90% of our mosquito abatement is done with larvicide.
Due to this season's abundance of mosquitoes an increase of fogging is needed to help reduce the infestation. One issue is the continuing evening rains have limited VDCI's ability to conduct fogging operations. Staff is working closely with VDCI to mitigate areas throughout Broomfield.
Fogging Schedule, based on trap counts (weather permitting):
- Jun. 28: Josh's Pond, Whistlepig/Country Estates, Northmoor, Brandywine, Redleaf, Columbine Meadows/Willow Run
- Jun. 30: Skyestone
- Jul. 3: County Commons, Northmoor park, and barrier spray the cemetery
- Jul. 5: Whistlepig/Country Estates/Outlook, Northmoor, Brandywine, Columbine Meadows/Willow Run
- Jul. 6: Skystone
- Jul. 12: Brandywine/Cimarron Village, Northmoor Estates, Whistlepig/Country Estates/Outlook/Aspen Creek, Skyestone, Anthem Ranch North, Country Vista/Willow Run, Josh's Pond, Columbine Meadows/Willow Park
- Jul. 13: Alexx and Michael's Pond
- Jul. 21: Alexx and Michael's Pond, Broadlands and County Commons
- Jul. 26: Anthem Ranch, Whistlepig/Country Estates/Outlook/Aspen Creek, Josh's Pond, Northmoor Estates, Brandywine/Cimarron, Columbine Meadows/Willow Run
- Jul. 27: Skyestone
- Jul. 31: County Commons
- Aug. 2: Country Estates/Whistlepig, Anthem Ranch, Northmoor Estates, Brandywine, Josh's Pond, Willow Run/Columbine Meadows
- Aug. 4: County Commons
- Aug. 9: Skyestone, Brandywine/Cimarron, Broadlands, Anthem Ranch, Columbine Meadows/Willow Run, Northmoor Estates, Country Estates/Whistlepig, Josh's Pond, Broomfield Commons
- Aug. 15: County Commons, Broadlands
- Aug. 16: Josh's Pond, Country Estates/Whistle Pig, Skyestone, Brandywine/Cimarron Village, Anthem Ranch North
- Aug. 23: Brandywine/Cimarron, Columbine Meadows/Willow Run, Skyestone, Hearthstone/Palisade Park, Josh's Pond
- Aug. 30: Josh's Pond
- The mosquito fogging has concluded for the season.
If the weather continues in this wet pattern, the reality is that elevated mosquito populations are expected throughout this season. To learn more about our mosquito program and how to prevent mosquito bites visit broomfield.org/mosquito.