Dillon Road/W. 144th Ave. Project
News & Updates
This project is substantially complete!
Click HERE for "before" and "after" video of the project produced by Muller Engineering, design firm for this project.
Spring 2023**, the landscape and irrigation along Dillon from Aspen to Sheridan will be completed. Due to a major utility conflict at Sheridan and the low pressure water system at Aspen, the irrigation tap must be relocated and coordinated with the new Dillon Point development located southeast of Dillon and Aspen. In the meantime, the tree lawns on the south side of Dillon from Aspen to Sheridan and on the north side from Benton Street to Sheridan will temporarily be filled in with crusher fines to protect the areas and reduce maintenance.
**Subject to change due to weather and other unforeseen conditions.
On May 23, 2017, Council authorized staff to pursue debt to widen all segments of Dillon Road/West 144th Avenue from US 287 to Zuni Street. The project will follow a fast-track delivery method to allow construction documents to be released in phases so construction can start as early as possible. For design and construction plans, the project was reapportioned in 2017 into two major phases, Phase 1 from US 287 to S. 120th St. and Phase 2 from Sheridan Blvd. to Zuni St. As of late June 2018, it is anticipated the Phase 2 construction plans will be completed before the Phase 1 plans due to the permitting timeline with multiple external agencies.
A contract amendment with Muller was presented to Council and approved on August 8, 2017, for the professional services needed to complete the roadway widening design of the additional segments added with debt financing. The construction schedule will be determined based on the timing of the ROW acquisition from adjacent property owners, permit approval by external agencies, utility relocation, and any environmental or wildlife permitting restrictions.
In April 2017, residents adjacent to Dillon Road between S. 120th St. and Sheridan Blvd. were invited to attend a neighborhood open house to view and discuss this preferred alternative:
In March 2017, Council directed staff to pursue the alternative that maximized safety and traffic progression. Council requested that staff work with Boulder County for cost-sharing of the project.
On March 9, 2016, Broomfield staff had an open house with residents living adjacent to Dillon Road between S. 120th St. and Sheridan Blvd. to gather comments.
Click HERE to view public comments from this meeting.
On January 20, 2016, Broomfield staff met with representatives from Boulder County Transportation and Open Space to discuss:
- A conceptual layout of Dillon Road from South 120th Street to Sheridan Boulevard;
- Bike lane and shared-use path alternatives from the Dillon Road bicycle/pedestrian access feasibility study; and
- Approximations of right-of-way (ROW) needed from Boulder County to complete the proposed roadway and bicycle/pedestrian improvements.
Dillon Road/West 144th Avenue is a regional roadway with connectivity to I-25, US 287, and arterial street connections to Lafayette and Louisville. The roadway between the Northwest Parkway (NWP) and Zuni Street is in the City and County of Broomfield.
A Traffic Analysis Report established that traffic congestion is heaviest westbound during the morning peak hour, and eastbound during the afternoon peak.
- During the morning peak, the less congested eastbound trip took approximately 7 minutes at an average speed of 30 mph. While the very congested westbound trip took 17 minutes at an average speed of 12 mph.
- During the afternoon peak, the less congested westbound trip took approximately 6 minutes at an average speed of 35 mph.
- There was a rolling "stop and go" westbound vehicle queue extending east from Aspen Street nearly to Lowell Boulevard.
- At times traffic would sit at a green traffic signal with no room to move forward. There was a long queue (20 plus vehicles) of northbound traffic on Aspen Street waiting to turn left onto 144th Avenue during each cycle.
Click HERE for Dillon Rd./144th Ave. Traffic Forecast and Adjacent Roadway Impact Analysis Report.
The Broomfield City Council appropriated project funding in the 2016 budget to complete the ultimate widening of the west end of the Dillon Road/West 144th Avenue corridor to four continuous through lanes from just west of South 120th Street to Sheridan Boulevard. The project will include the recommended bike and pedestrian path/lane improvements.