Tobacco cessation strategies are proven to save lives, improve quality of life, and save money. By simply identifying smokers, advising them to quit, and referring them to free cessation programs, healthcare providers improve the chances of helping patients successfully quitting, improving their overall health and wellbeing.
- Ask every patient about tobacco use at every visit.
- Ask if the patient is a current user, former user or has never used tobacco products.
- Ask what kind of tobacco is used and how often.
- Advise every tobacco user to quit.
- Advise those that have tried to quit and not succeeded to try again.
- Refer patients to quitlines, websites and local programs for support.
FDA-Approved Medications to Help People Quit
There are nicotine replacement therapies (NRT), pharmaceuticals and other quit therapies that can help smokers deal with cravings and nicotine withdrawal symptoms. Using these products can double to triple a smoker’s chances of successfully quitting.
The Colorado QuitLine offers free NRT to all Coloradans, such as the nicotine patch and nicotine gum.
Connect Smokers to Quit-Smoking Benefits
Smokers covered under Health First Colorado (Medicaid) get free quit-smoking benefits, including counseling and medication with no copay. Review details of treatment plans, CPT billing codes, medications and more with the provider at a glance benefit card, detailed provider fact sheet and the one-page benefit chart. Learn more about tobacco cessation through HCPF.
Vaping and E-Cigarettes
In light of the high rates of youth vaping, the Colorado QuitLine’s web, text and phone programs are now available to those as young as 12. New web features and tobacco treatment specialists make quit support free and accessible for youth. Learn more about what you can do to address vaping as a health care provider. Learn more about vaping.
My Life, My Quit is a free tobacco treatment program created specifically with young people in mind. My Life, My Quit offers 24/7 coaching support by text, web, and phone, to reach youth where they are and provide an easy-to-use, non-judgmental experience. Youth ages 12-17 can text “Start my quit” to 36072 to connect with a coach or receive quit tips.
- A Patient-Centered Tobacco Cessation Workflow for Healthcare Clinics
- Tobacco Free Toolkit for Healthcare Providers